Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Distracted Revelation

People are becoming distracted from information overload. In the overload, God wants to bring clarity and understanding.

It is a standing joke in our home that when I order a Netflix movie and it arrives with subtitles, I am disappointed. When I hit the play button on the remote and to my surprise I hear a language I do not understand and I am forced to read subtitles, I say something like, “Well if I wanted to read the book I would have bought it!” My family lovingly smile and sit back to enjoy the movie. Not me. I don’t like to divide my attention between trying to read the words of a script and watch the movie all at the same time. It divides my attention so much it becomes a distraction. For the artsy ones reading this article, please forgive my pedestrian ways.

A subtitled movie is a metaphor that illustrates how some people try to gain understanding and insight into the world around them. They are seeing and hearing so much input they find themselves frustrated trying to discern the totality of what they see. They give up trying to understand and allow the stimuli in their life to define their reality. God has another plan.

When the Spirit reveals truth to us it comes from the realm of eternity – a place not confined to the limitations of time and space or sight and sound. A word from the Lord simply walks through the screen of what we are trying to see and hear and becomes a deposit in our spirit. It gives us discernment to view with spiritual insight what is being presented to us by word or image, much of it just the opposite of what the Lord has revealed.

If you are in a moment of overload from all that is playing out in front of your eyes, at some point you will need to make the decision to stop trying to gain spiritual insight from natural manifestations. This is an important decision to make if you are going to understand the essence of prophecy. When a word arrives it is not in submission to anything, no matter what you see or hear. It is not a confirmation. That would put it in submission to what it came to challenge and transform. When a word from the Lord arrives it takes dominion over all that is transpiring in this realm and requires its submission to the heart and will of God.


“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him. But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets.”  I Corinthians 2:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment