Saturday, July 18, 2015

Spiritual Puberty


When I was 8 years old, I was convinced babies were created when people kissed.  I had vowed to never let my lips touch a girl.  That vow lasted about 4 years until puberty kicked in and I kissed a girl on the cheek in the 6th grade.

It is interesting what kind of revelation comes as we mature.  When our natural passions first arise they must be discipled by self-control before they are able to possess a practical wisdom. Passion can be present in any life-experience, not just the sexual component. Passion without the discipleship of wisdom becomes directionless and dangerous.  Passion without wisdom only seeks to fulfill its need without considering the consequence of its actions.

It wasn’t long after puberty kicked in that I arrived in Junior High School.  It was there I first heard the distant rumors of kids only a couple of years older than me getting pregnant.  I remember the strangeness and unfamiliarity of those years. They were wonderful and scary all rolled up together.  Most of us did not have the level of wisdom required to help us to make wise decisions or even understand a real life consequence of our actions.

If you have a passion for anything – life, sports, intimacy, success, politics, knitting or whatever - ask yourself, “Has my passion been discipled?” If the answer is, “No”, and you find a passion living in your life that is unrestrained and borderless, invite the Spirit to come with the fruit of self-control and help you direct that passion toward it’s God-intended purpose.

When I married Jan in 1973, I found the beauty of an intimacy and passion that can only be discovered when discipled by the Spirit of wisdom, not by need. Now, 42 years later, I can’t wait to kiss Jan each day because I have discovered the depths of a love that can only be found in a discipled passion.





No comments:

Post a Comment