Thursday, November 25, 2010

Random Verse

REFLECTING LEAF 11-3-10


On a hike this morning

in the hills above Jacksonville

I saw a fallen leaf shaped like a bowl

filled with rainwater

becoming a reflecting mirror of my face

as I sought the face of God.



TOWARDS FOREVER 12-11-10


Like toy soldiers marching,

wound up but winding down, waiting

for the Hand to twist again,

to set in motion

this march towards forever.



WHITE TRACKS 11-23-10


Walking up an unmarked trail of snow

the first of the year

white, unprinted by foot, claw or hoof

circling around the mountain

in a loop

untouched, pure,

atop a canvas of frozen paint.

As I circumnavigate this path

I come back around to my first tracks

cutting the white on the trek up

and meeting myself in print form.

I stop and ask, “Am I a different man?” on this way back down,

than the one who walked this way up.

It is strange to meet your tracks once again,

footprints as reminders

of who one is, both up and down.

Snow is honest.



COMPREHENDER 11-24-10


Comprehension,

enemy of knowing.

Comprehending the God of all

a goal he never posed.

To be, to walk, to sense, to touch together

is the knowing.

These never designed for the comprehender

but for the lover.

Lying side by side

unspoken words

having no comprehension,

yet together.


1 comment:

  1. God told Abram, come outside and look up. In other words, "Let's go for a walk and I'll show you something." Thomas Merton said, " For me landscape seems to be important for contemplation." If we were outside more, we'd see more.

    ReplyDelete